Before we could seal the concrete countertop there was still some prep work that needed to be done. First we sanded the edges
It’s official! The kitchen renovation has begun! We took advantage of the long Labor Day weekend to get this project started. Our first step was removing the counter top on both the bar and the cabinets.
Matt then scored a line on the wall about where the wall would need to be cut down to. That way we didn’t have to take out more drywall then needed.
After all the prep work, the fun part started! Matt carefully removed the drywall down to that line he marked.
After removing the drywall on that side he moved onto the other side.
Once all the drywall was removed, he cut each of the studs with his jigsaw so we could get the bulk of the wall out of the way.
We had two outlets on the part of the wall we removed on the cabinet side that needed to be dealt with. We decided to move them over to the opposite side and place them as far up as they would go. There was also an outlet at the bottom of the wall that we got rid of. No need for three outlets in one small wall.
After all the electrical work was sorted out we cut the studs to the correct height, added a 2×4 along the top and installed a little bit of drywall to close up the hole.
On top of the drywall we added a sheet of underlayment. This is what we will paint once we are done. We plan to add some mdf for a board and batten look.
In other news, we also laid about a pallet of sod in our front yard. What a difference it makes! We could never get any grass to grow here for some reason, so hopefully now that we have laid sod the grass will stay alive. Matt works in the landscaping industry and one perk is he sometimes gets leftover items from job sites. About 2 years ago he got a tree and now we got this pallet of sod!